Friday, June 14, 2013

Gestational Diabetes

I love sweets!
I love tator tots!
I may be addicted to carbohydrates (like most Americans)

  These are things I didn't really realize until I failed the sugar tests.  I hit that third trimester mark and had to drink the "orange" drink... I can only describe it as an orange crush soda with a cup of sugar mixed in.  I had to drink it quickly, wait an hour, then hand over some blood...
I unfortunately failed... and I failed by a lot!

So I got the pleasure of doing the 3 hour test (which is really 4 hours).  In order to prep for the test I was required to eat 3 candy bars each day for the 3 days leading up to the tests.  I also had to go on a Saturday morning due to work.  When I got there the nurse explained to me that the drink would be about 10 times sweeter. (YES! It was most definitely jam packed with sugar).
I chugged it down and then waited.... 1hour - draw blood... 2 hours - draw more blood... 3 hours - draw more blood.   They couldn't release the results to me until my dr saw them.

                                   So I waited for the call.

A few days later a nurse called to explain my results.... I had indeed scored gestational diabetes' numbers.  Next step - meet with a gestational diabetes dr and dietician.   I learned how to check my blood sugar numbers and was required to every morning, night before bed, and every 2 hrs after a meal.  This became tedious,  but necessary so I could control it with my diet.  I kept my numbers recorded and would email the dietician every Monday.  During this time I basically ate meat,  veggies, and drank water.  Although,  my morning numbers continued to be too low, so I 'had' to eat 2 cookies and a glass of milk before bed :).

Throughout the remainder of my pregnancy I controlled it with my diet and didn't have anymore issues.  Praise God

From now on I am supposed to continue watching my diet; I am more susceptible to diabetes outside of pregnancy now.  This has really made me more conscious of what I eat and as a result a healthier person. I think I just ate things out of convenience and not wisely. I am grateful for the new lifestyle this is creating for me.  Thank you gestational diabetes.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment